Re: Proper notation for common licenses

On 22.09.2014 18:36, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:15:08PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> What do we gain by quoting common licenses in debian/copyright over and
>> over again?
>
> We don't quote (i.e. include the *full* text of) common licenses over
> and over again, that's precisely what /usr/share/common-licenses is for,
> and this has been that way even before machine readable copyrights.
>
> (In other words: Sorry, I don't understand your question).

I was referring to the FTP master announcement from 2006 which claimed
that version 1 is a requirement for debian/copyright but version 2 is
wrong. The question is why is the simplified version 2 wrong when a
pointer should be sufficient?

Example:

Version 1:

License: GPL-2+
 any later version.
 .
 .
 along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
 Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301 USA
 .
 On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
 License, version 2, can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.

Version 2:

License: GPL-2+