Re: PackageKit cleanup: Do you use these functions?

> In data giovedì 11 settembre 2014 15:40:31, Ansgar Burchardt ha scritto:
>> Well, online updates do break software from time to time on my system.
>> For system services they usually work fine as they can be restarted by
>> the upgrade process, however user applications break...
> But I normally don't restart for weeks. That would make a reboot an extremely
> long process.
That's why the offline-upgrade procedure is an optional thing (and as
an option, I see no problems in making it work well).
Unexperienced users will get an update-on-reboot, and others can
update the way they want.

> Perhaps we should just change dpkg to have a flag that prevents upgrade if the
> process is running, and that shows some warning that tells to restart software
> X to avoid problems.
We have that in PackageKit, but I think it wasn't working well and has
been removed (I need to check that).

Cheers,
    Matthias