Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014, at 04:12, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-09-09 at 21:24 +0100, Noel Torres wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 9 de September de 2014 21:18:55 Tollef Fog Heen escribió:
> > > ]] Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez

> > > Then surely you test the upgrade before making it live, using kvm
> > > -snapshot or similar functionality?
> >
> > This is simply not possible in physical live, productions servers on remote
> > CPDs.
>
> In that case you test on your staging server first...

Or at least be present at the facility when you do release to release+1
upgrade[+].

I have done really weird stuff with my non-production systems (like
cross-upgrading from Ubuntu devel to Debian stable), but for production
system you can broke your system even on kernel upgrades[*], so nothing
here is init system specific.

* - we had to carry a custom kernel at the time when Ubuntu backported
only a part of a patch and that broke a hw raid disk enumeration...

+ - And if you really can't be there or have a KVM or serial console,
you can always tweak the system to your likings before you do the
reboot. People, this is nothing new, please don't try to pretend it is
just because it's a init system.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>