Re: systemd, again

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> I think that is terrible idea, because it makes us release a system
> that is lot less tested than it should be. If only fresh installs were

Nonsense. sysvinit must continue to work anyway, for various
reasons (upgrades, kfreebsd, the TC decision).

Also, switching during upgrades is potentially harmful and
frowned upon, see the ax25-node vs. nodejs discussion and
remember those systems in remote locations. (I am not thinking
of systemd breaking booting those, but maybe they run targetted
code for log analysis, service management… or even getting the
network up and running.)

What are the options for a GNOME on wheezy user though?

• get systemd
• get partial GNOME uninstalled
• get an error when trying to dist-upgrade

None of these are partially appealing. I can’t find a
technical solution for something else offhand.

On the other hand, a non-GNOME wheezy user SHALL not
be upgraded to systemd, true.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yes, I hate users and I want them to suffer.
	-- Marco d'Itri on gmane.linux.debian.devel.general