Re: JavaScript usage

Bálint Réczey <balint@balintreczey.hu> writes:

> I use NoScript and enable the minimal set of JavaScripts for every page
> they need to run. Most probably this is overkill and I take this request
> back. I just felt that for a few checkboxes and radio buttons it is
> overkill to run JavaScript.

You're not the only one who is irritated by this, and I also use NoScript,
pretty aggressively block Javascript, and am reluctant to turn it on.

I'm surprised the survey worked with elinks, since this is a known problem
with SurveyMonkey and something that never fails to annoy me when getting
surveys from there.  Although I often sigh and temporarily enable
Javascript just for that site if I care about the survey.

That said, I know enough people who are web developers to understand why
they do this sometimes.  It's hard to get things to work properly without
Javascript in a world where you have wildly varying screen sizes and
display interfaces between mobile and desktop, and where the UI models
offered by HTML and CSS alone are limited.  I just wish they'd degrade
more smoothly, and that sites would do less of pulling Javascript in from
half the web and creating all sorts of tracking and privacy leak points in
the process.