Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 02:11:16PM +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
[..snip..]
> >- shall we standardize the "pristine-tar" branch?
>
> I'd say "No" here. With packaging of the MATE desktop environment I started
> maintaining only the debian/ folders in the packaging Git repositories (e.g.
> [1]). So, I am not shipping any upstream sources with the packaging Git at
> all. I have started getting fond of this Git packaging way and I recommend
> this to everyone else for various reasons (saving storage on git.debian.org
> for one of them).

Having a 'pristine-tar' branch should only apply if there are any
upstream sources in git. It doesn't make sense for debian/ only
packaging.

That said it'd be nice to know why it's more convenient to not have
the upstream sources in git since I think one misses out on many of
the advantages of git based packaging (like rebasing patches to new
upstream versions).

Cheers,
 -- Guido