Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Aug 17, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>By the way, I try to always avoid using "master" as a branch name. This
>doesn't express anything at all.

+1

In the context of Ubuntu (and when it works <wink>) I really like the approach
taken for UDD branches.  I can always branch the version of the package in any
series, e.g.

$ bzr branch ubuntu:utopic/python2.7

or if I want to get to the version of the package in proposed:

$ bzr branch ubuntu:utopic-proposed/python2.7

with an alias for the most commonly requested version, i.e. the released
version in the current development series:

$ bzr branch ubuntu:python2.7 # gives me the utopic/python2.7

Of course, I can get the version in any other series.  I can even get versions
in Debian via:

$ bzr branch debianlp:python2.7

or

$ bzr branch debianlp:wheezy/python2.7

Obviously the details will be different with git and Debian, but I think it
makes a lot of sense not to assume what 'master' might point to, but instead
be explicit about the series name in the branch name.  If it's possible to
make a shorthand alias for the most common branch (unstable?) then that's fine
too.

Cheers,
-Barry