Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On 08/18/2014 03:08 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 01:49 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Joey took various approaches to work around this, including shipping some
>> of the older versions of the compressors in the package.  However, the
>> issue also applies to tar, and so far has been addressed by modifying tar
>> to add a backword-compatibility mode.
>
> And if upstream uses tar from BSD, game over...

I meant of course, that the result will be different from the one
upstream. Anyway, what's all this religion about .orig.tar.{x,gz} files
about? Why should we care that much? Should I fear that I will make the
tarball gods unhappy if upstream and Debian orig files are different? I
still don't get the point... (I do understand the importance of
reproducibility of building the orig file *in Debian* though)

Thomas