Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 08:48:40PM -0700, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> > 3) Teach ntopng to understand /etc/ntopng.conf natively and migrate the
> > settings there.
>
> yes, that would be an option. I forgot to add the requirement "without
> patching upstream code" :)

Debian is not the only distribution that will ever encounter this
problem.  Rather than hacking around it downstream, why not fix it the
right way upstream?  /etc/default almost always represents a
Debian-specific hack.

Why a requirement to not improve upstream?  Ideally, the Debian patches
for a piece of software should trend to zero over time, as fixes make
their way upstream.

(Though, as noted above, "and migrate the settings". :) )

> > 4) Teach ntopng to automatically detect the available network devices on
> > the system (including new ones that show up dynamically) and
> > automatically handle all of them unless configured to do otherwise,
> > making configuration usually unnecessary.
>
> ntopng already does this (except the dynamically part).
> However "-i" do not take only network interfaces, but zeromq sockets too.

Fair enough.  Still seems likely to help it work without configuration
for common use cases, though.

- Josh Triplett