Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

On Aug 17, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Does Debian no longer care about easy updates, or have we accepted
> that updating to jessie will be a nightmare anyway and recommend
> reinstallation instead?
Yes, I hate users and I want them to suffer.

> Quite a number of packages also refrain from starting the daemon on an
> unconfigured newly installed package until the user has configured it.
We call these packages "buggy": every package should have a sensible
default configuration.

> I guess that this needs to be replaced "by native mechanisms (i.e.
> implemented as a patch to the upstream software)" as well? It is not
> always possible to come with a working default configuration or to
> build one in postinst.
If unconfigured software really cannot fail cleanly then the package can
install it without enabling the service.
Or systemd can notice that there is no config file and hence not try to
start the daemon. Or possibly other things more intelligent than
checking for ENABLED=1 in something that may or may not be a shell
script fragment.

--
ciao,
Marco