Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

Am 17.08.2014 05:51, schrieb Ludovico Cavedon:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a systemd service file for a daemon (ntopng) and I would
> like to know what you think is the best way to load some
> configuration.
>
> The ntopng daemon takes multiple interfaces in the format of multiple
> -i command-line options. For example.
> ntopng -i eth0 -i wlan0
>
> Currently the interfaces are stored in /etc/default/ntopng
> INTERFACES="eth0 wlan0"
>
> and the sysv init script takes care of adding "-i" for each one of them.
>
> I would like to keep the sysv compatibility and do the same in systemd.
>
> I tried in various ways, but the two solution I could think of are:
> 1) change the format of INTERFACES to require inclusion of -i.
> I.e
> INTERFACES="-i eth0 -i wlan0"
> and use EnvironmentFIle=/etc/default/ntopng.
> 2) instead of doing Exec=ntopng, Exec a script that does the mangling
> and then execs ntopng.
> This changes the format,
> complicated upgrades, and is more error prone.
> Because both solutions do not look great to me, and I could not find
> an example, I am asking your opinion.
>
> After writing this email, I start to believe 2) is the right way, but
> I would appreciate anybody's input.

If you go with any of these options, I think 1) would be the better
approach since this would be a one-time migration.

I see that you also have a HTTP_PORT=3000 parameter in
/etc/default/ntopng and a ADD_ARGS=""

I'd rewrite your default file and simply pass the -w and -i parameters
directly via ADD_ARGS=. Doing that as part of the postinst doesn't seem
that complicated or error prone.

I also happen to notice, that you use a ENABLED=1 flag.
It would be a good idea to deprecate that as well and remove that.

We have better mechanisms nowadays to enable/disable SysV init scripts
(and systemd service files).

universe are pointed away from Earth?