Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:03:18 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> (Please trim the quoted mail when you answer)
>
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > >- are there other important things to standardize?
> >
> > We don't even agree on if repositories should be full source or
> > Debian directory only. Not sure how we can even start to discuss
> > the rest if we don't agree on that.
>
> I don't know of any git helper tools that work on git repositories
> with Debian directory only.

git-buildpackage --git-overlay

> The vast majority (all?) of git packaging repositories have the
> upstream sources.

No. None of mine do, or will.

> I think this point is not really contentious.

Disagree. Having upstream sources in the packaging repository is a
retrograde action.

> And given the willingness to make it easier to collaborate with
> upstream using git, it would be silly to not have the upstream
> sources in our git repositories.

Wrong - it makes a lot of sense for upstream to *not* have packaging
files together with the upstream sources. It also makes good sense for
the packaging to be completely separate as a maintainer.

--

Neil Williams