Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

El dom, 10 de ago 2014 a las 11:39 , Kees de Jong <keesdejong@gmail.com> escribió:
Why are we discussing CD/DVD sizes? Why not just use an USB netinstall? It's then possible to download and install the stuff you need, if you don't want to use a lot of bandwidth then choose no desktop environment or XFCE/LXDE. But if you can spare some more time then you can install GNOME/KDE. Seems like a good deal. And USB sticks are cheaper (also easier to reuse) so I don't get the 'hurting developing countries' argument.

CDs are cheap and easy to distribute and customize (with the Debian logo and artwork). Yes, we all have a number of 1+ GB USB drives that could easily fit GNOME, but are we willing to give those away or sell them cheaply? Being able to distribute a Debian CD that does not need an internet connection to try out or install is really beneficial for gaining users.

elementary OS is hitting this issue with how expensive it is to make customized USB drives (with their logo and stuff). I think the best chance they have of being able to sell USB drives in their online store is just the elementary coloring (a distinctive light blue).

netinstall is difficult for unreliable or limited bandwidth network connections (luckily it is perfect for me, someone who uses GNOME and has a good internet connection :)

Best regards,
--
Cameron Norman