Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> I actually think having no default desktop would be just fine, instead
> having the current 3-4 desktop installation media. Then anyone can pick
> the DE she likes.

I recently spent some time installing community computer labs in rural
Brazil. Internet bandwidth was nearly nonexistant[1], so if you were
lucky, someone could come up with a thumb drive with a Debian image
containing a desktop environment that fit the target machines, which
were variously recycled donations from more wealthy areas, or several
revs back in government computer subsidies -- so all too underpowered
for gnome.

If the xfce iso didn't exist, people in these situtations would
not be able to install a usable Debian system.

At the same time, there is room for better communication, because what I
observed is that users mostly tried to install with the default gnome
CD first, only to find out it wasn't suited to their hardware.
We could better communicate that eg, xfce and lxde images are more
suited to older hardware.

--
see shy jo

[1] Eg, shared celluar modems, mostly over bandwidth caps and so
    reduced to a trickle.