Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> wrote:

> Accessibility: GNOME continues to be the only free desktop environment that
> provides full accessibility coverage, right from login screen. While it’s true
> GNOME 3.0 was lacking in many areas, and GNOME 3.4 (which we shipped in wheezy)
> was just barely acceptable thanks to some last minute GDM fixes, GNOME 3.12
> should have ironed out all of the issues and our non-expert understanding is
> that a11y support is now on par with what GNOME 2.30 from squeeze offered.

Most of the upstream development in ATK, AT-SPI 2 and Orca is directed toward
GNOME. (All of the above are, after all, part of the GNOME project, even
though they strive to support QT and to cooperate with accessibility efforts
in other desktop environments.)