Re: Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Le Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:28:02PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz a écrit :

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2014, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> >The problem is an undermanned ftpmaster team [0], so help there is
>
> I have to object here. If I read something like:
>   <XXX> please reject YYY
>   <XXX> forgot to add the full MPL 2.0 text..
> I wonder why this hadn't been checked before the upload.
> If all maintainers would do their homework, the situation of NEW
> might be much better. I estimate that 80% of all packages in NEW,
> that are older than two weeks, do have a problem like above.
> So dear fellow maintainers, although it is quite boring, please pay
> more attention to the Debian Policy.

Hi Thorsten,

I fully agree.

A few years ago, I made a proposal for peer-reviewing copyright files in the
NEW queue.

    https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReview

The goal is not to substitute for the inspection by the FTP Master team, but to
correct defects before their review, therefore saving their time.

I have done a few dozens of these reviews and share Thorsten's impression in
general (althouth in my opinion 80 % is quite an upper-range estimate…).

I encourage everybody who uploads to the NEW queue to review some packages in
exchange.  To help people reviewing your package, please make sure that a
copy is accessible (source packages in the NEW queue are not accessible outside
the FTP Master team).

(Regarding the requests for removal from the NEW queue, perhaps somebody can
write a patch to DAK so that it can be dealt with a DAK command file ?)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,