Re: bzip2 and multiarch transition

On 28 July 2014 06:38,  <santiago@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Please CC me when answering)
>
> I've just uploaded a new bzip2 revision and I think I need to revert a
> change. bzip2 used to build cross architecture lib{32,64}bz2* packages,
> but multiarch has obsoleted them. To stop building those packages (and
> close #736815), and to look for a smooth transition, I added
> conflicts/replace/provides control fields in the -1.0 and -dev packages.
> But I realized that those fields were wrong, at least useless (I also
> found [1]). So, to be sure, should I just drop the old lib{32,64}bz2*,
> without any transition mechanism? (no other package  depends on them
> now.)

Whilst not policy [*] compliant, you can keep old lib{32,64}bz2*
packages as empty & dummy transitional packages that depend on the new
multi-arch packages e.g. libbz2*:i386. That however, may be confusing
if one doesn't have multiarch for i386 enabled, for example, since
that package will not be available to be installed.

[*] "policy" used loosely here, multiarch wiki pages call for holding
back on using arch specific depends, however some maintainers are
starting to use it in the wild.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.