Re: myth(?): places in the world where https is illegal? Re: people.debian.org will move from ravel to paradis and become HTTPS only

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 01:12:37PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> On Sonntag, 20. Juli 2014, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> > The main one is that there are places in the world you just can't use HTTPS
> > for legal reasons [...]
>
> I'm curious, can you name one?

The United Kingdom when using IPv4 over AX.25 on Amateur Radio. Encryption
is illegal because it goes against the self-policing nature of the amateur
bands.

(I was hoping to actually locate one of the crackpot dictator countries that
have laws for the general population but there doesn't actually seem to be
much data available on that).

http://www.ru.j-npcs.org/usoft/WWW/www_debian.org/Documentation/policy.html/ch-developer.html

Note that for packaging, these allowances are made. I do not see why we
cannot make the same allowances for accessing a website.

Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me
x: irl@jabber.fsfe.org     t: +447875886930