Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

On Jul 15, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 18:12:41 Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> > It seems to me 3.0 (Quilt) is still applying patches when the
>> > package is extracted using dpkg-source.  Is there a way to avoid
>> > that too?  That's been my major objection.
>>
>> dpkg-source -x --skip-patches foo.dsc
>> (Does not work in debian/source/options, though)
>
>Not adding debian/source/format gets me the same thing with less typing
>(although I appreciate knowing about the option, I'd missed that before).  If
>that worked in debian/source/options, then I don't think I'd have a strong
>reason to avoid 3.0 (Quilt).

Should it though?  Isn't to apply or not apply patches automatically a
preference of the individual developer rather than of the "package"?
Especially for team maintained packages, if you and I are on a team, you might
not want it to apply patches but I might.

I suppose in those cases though, teams (or even co-maintainers) can establish
conventions, although it would be nice in that case to also have a
--no-skip-patches option.

Cheers,
-Barry