Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

Hi Steve,

> I understand not wanting to repackage the upstream tarball for source format
> 1.0.  What I don't understand is why you *did* do this, instead of just
> switching the package to format 3.0 (quilt) as part of the update you were
> doing, or why you think a lintian warning would make any difference.

I didn't say which package I touched. It was part of a NMU, now
waiting for a possible ack by the maintainer. I don't feel well at
changing the source format in a NMU.
A proper lintian warning can enlighten the maintainer and push him
toward the change or somehow qualify the NMUer to add that file (if
there are no other big changes)

>> https://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0
>
> Well, this is a one-sided view of the question from the creator of the 3.0
> format, listing no disadvantages whatsoever.

Good. It's a wiki page, let's edit it. There is a
Advantages_of_new_formats section, you can add a
Disadvantages_of_new_formats or Advantages_of_old_format. Or list them
here. I'm really curios. As you can see I'm not an old or active or
deeply knowledged debian developer/maintainer, so I can miss
something.

--
regards,
Mattia Rizzolo