Re: Running autopkgtest at package upload time

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 10:06:58AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some workshop at LSM[1] and I was mentioning autopkgtest as new
> and interesting feature.  To my astonishment the audience was not
> perfectly happy that it might last some time until a package test is
> performed and the developer gets some response.  Since I think that the
> person who raised this has some point I wonder whether there is a chance
> to implement autopkttest-ing right after a package was uploaded.

It is possible, yes.

Today debci runs in batch mode, reading the Source index from the
repository, detecting which packages need a test run (what includes
packages with new versions), and then running running the tests for all
packages in the batch that need a test run.

The support for distributed setups in debci in being worked on (thus
separating putting packages to a queue from actually running their
tests). When it's ready, we can implement a separate daemon that will
listen to fedmsg¹ and enqueue packages right away when they are
uploaded.

¹ https://wiki.debian.org/FedMsg

Of course, from there we would also need an APT repository from where to
actually get the uploaded packages. I remember a discussion about
turning the incoming location into a proper APT repository, but I don't
know in which stage that effort is.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>