Re: "thanks" messages on mailing lists/bug reports

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:45:21 +0200
Sven Bartscher <sven.bartscher@weltraumschlangen.de> wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I recently started contributing to debian.
> Before that, most of my writing with people I don't know personally
> through the internet was on Stack Exchange.
> On Stack Exchange, messages that only consist of thanking people or
> agreement are not considered helpful.

High volume mailing lists are often the same. If you're adding "noise",
it isn't going to be seen as helpful. +1 and "thanks" are generally
regarded as "noise" if there is no other content. (Worse is when those
are applied at the end of a very long email without snipping other
content.)

> This in mind I'm very unsure if I should write messages like that to
> someone or if I should avoid them (to not annoy anyone with them), on
> Debian mailing lists or bug reports.

Bug reports differ somewhat. Reports that a patch or a contribution or
a workaround has actually helped someone *are* helpful. Just be certain
that you quote enough of the original content that people know what you
are talking about when all they see is the email notification of your
contribution.

> What is your experience with that?
> How do you feel if you read such messages?
> Maybe more important: How do you feel if you don't get such messages?

reportbug has a seldom used kudos feature but a personal thanks is
often better received than an automated one.

--

Neil Williams