Re: how do I treat an un-owned leftover directory?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 02:45:21PM +0200, Dennis van Dok wrote:
> I'm symlinking files to /etc/grid-security/certificates/ on
> installation, and everything but the directories themselves are removed
> on package removal.
>
> I guess I could remove these directories if they are completely empty
> after package removal, but I don't really own the directories. The use
> of these directories is an established convention with grid computing
> software.

I think the following should work:

* Include the /etc/grid-security/certificates directory in your .deb.
* In postinst, add the symlinks.
* In prerm, remove the symlinks.

This way, the directory will be added and removed automatically by
dpkg, and it will be kept if any other package contains it or if there
are any files there other than the symlinks you remove.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers