how do I treat an un-owned leftover directory?

Hi,

my packages igtf-policy-bundle has piuparts errors[1].

I'm symlinking files to /etc/grid-security/certificates/ on
installation, and everything but the directories themselves are removed
on package removal.

I guess I could remove these directories if they are completely empty
after package removal, but I don't really own the directories. The use
of these directories is an established convention with grid computing
software.

I would appreciate your advice!

Best,

Dennis van Dok