Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:

>So that students can do eg ssh mybuddymachine /sbin/shutdown ?
>
>(and they need to be able to shutdown their own machine, power is not free).

Why do people always think that a proposal will automatically
exclude all others?

In your student scenario, you do *not* add them to the shutdown
group (or you show some trust into them). In your scenario, you
use all those *kit (or their successors) packages. You are what
those GNOME/systemd people target their new things at.

But neither you nor Svante/me are the *only* use cases. Rather,
both coexist. Just as I do not want to tell you to add all your
students to the shitdown group, which would be inappropriate, I
do not want to be told to use systemd, just to shut down a box.
Use the right tool for the job.

Again: variatio delectat, and I'm all for freedom of choice here.

bye,
//mirabilos