Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Russ Allbery dixit quod...
>Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:
[ startx ]
>> a virtual console, a locked X screensaver is worthless, because someone
>> can just switch virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+Fn, press Ctrl+C and
>> they're in your shell session.
>
>This doesn't change anything else that you point out, but that's why you
>run startx & and then log out of the virtual console.

That, or "exec startx". (Is there any benefit of one vs. the other?)

For the record, I would be happy with a supported setup without systemd
that relied on using startx, and putting people into the "desktop" unix
groups manually.

Do note that, for upgrade scenarios, running jessie with sysvinit MUST
be supported anyway. (But I would prefer that we can do this even for
fresh installations and sid.)

bye,
//mirabilos