Re: Nonfree Artifacts

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Andrew Schurman wrote:

> I'm looking into leveraging or creating a tool which can identify
> non-free artifacts that should be removed as part of a debian package.

You should clarify what you mean by non-free in this situation;

* artefacts under licenses that prevent software using them from being DFSG-free
* artefacts that are probably missing their preferred form for
modification (aka source)

> The tool would be used for java projects. Does such exist?

People on the debian-java list would probably know some Java-specific
tools but two Debian-specific tools do some of this are:

lintian: detects some non-free licenses and detects some files that
are missing source

suspicious-source (from devscripts): detects files that usually aren't
source and shouldn't be in source tarballs

You can also find files named *paypal* or *flattr*, those are usually non-free.

http://lintian.debian.org/tags/source-is-missing.html
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/license-problem-font-adobe-copyrighted-fragment-no-credit.html
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/license-problem-font-adobe-copyrighted-fragment.html
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/license-problem-gfdl-invariants-empty.html