Bug#752193: Severity of bug from Submitter's PoV in BTS
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Bug#752193: Severity of bug from Submitter's PoV in BTS
- From: Don Armstrong <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:36:06 -0700
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20140620213606.GF15041@rzlab.ucr.edu>
- Reply-to: Don Armstrong <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20140620205511.GA21212@helios.pault.ag>
- References: <20140619210942.GJ9707@teltox.donarmstrong.com> <1403231082.7370.41.camel@chianamo> <20140620090544.GU16461@sym.noone.org> <20140620204801.GE12234@bryant.redmars.org> <20140620205202.GX16461@sym.noone.org> <20140620205511.GA21212@helios.pault.ag>
On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Say what you want about launchpad.net's bugtracker (I, for one, like
> it), it at least has the status 'opinion'. I miss that, and sometimes, I
> wish I could set it in the BTS. Whos' in the patching mood?
On some other mailing list, Axel Beckert and Paul Tagliamonte indicated
that it would be nice to have an indication of the severity of the bug
from the submitter's point of view, which would be totally separate from
the current bug severities.
There have been multiple requests in the past for some kind of voting
(or similar) to indicate how many people are affected by a bug, and how
seriously they were affected as well.
There is also some need for maintainers to organize bugs and prioritize
them as well, beyond taking ownership via owner.
Some people have pointed out that the way launchpad handles these is
good; I'm amenable to implementing something similar in the BTS, but I'd
like to follow someone else's example which works well if at all possible.
Don Armstrong http://www.donarmstrong.com
Have you ever noticed: the most vocal superpatriots are the old men
who send young men out to die.
-- Harlan Ellison "Basilisk" (_Deathbird Stories_ p73)