Re: New project goal: Get rid of Berkeley DB (post jessie)

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:

> <with my Berkeley DB maintainer hat + downstream packages>

> my view is that Berkeley DB is dead since Oracle relicenced it to AGPL3;
> I also think there are better alternatives for key-value storage
> databases like LMDB (http://symas.com/mdb/) (or possibly others like
> LevelDB, Tokyo/Kyoto, etc. we don't have to settle on one common
> solution).

> So I think that we can probably get rid of the Berkeley DB at the places
> where it's used like a simple key-value database.

> It would require some amount of cooperation with upstream and some work
> within the packaging (converting the database at the upgrade time).

We would need to continue to support it in Debian for reading existing
Berkeley DB key/value pair databases via such things as Perl's DB_File.
I know I'm not the only one who has tons of key/value pair Berkeley DB
files scattered around from inumerable pieces of local code or packages
like krb5-strength.

That said, I don't think the Berkeley DB key/value pair on-disk data
structure could be all that complex, the algorithms around such a thing
are very well-understood, and I don't think the implementation has changed
in years and is therefore unambiguously under a good license.  Maybe
someone could fork just this portion of Berkeley DB without all the
complex transaction stuff and take over upstream maintenance of just that?