Re: Unicode 7.0 released - some packages contain outdated embedded data copies

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Paul Wise wrote:

> Unicode 7.0 was recently released. I discovered some source packages
> contain outdated copies of various Unicode data files. At minimum, the

For mine, mksh and jupp do, but they do not use the data files directly.
Instead, when Unicode is updated, I change the affected code in a mostly
manual process.

I believe that all C libraries also embed part of Unicode.

I know that xterm’s wcwidth.c direly needs updating, and that mgk
doesn’t do that. I do have a drop-in replacement available (which
is what I use in mksh (16-bit only) and jupp (full 21-bit Unicode).
If the xterm maintainer is interested, or even upstream (Tom), I’d
be willing to provide patches.

> Please ask your upstreams to remove the Unicode data files from their
> version control systems and source tarballs and instead check for and
> use external Unicode data files at build-time or run-time. Then your

This is not possible, for the aforementioned reasons, for mksh or jupp.
Furthermore, with upstream *and* Debian maintainer hat on, I refuse to
use a Debian-specific “special way” here. I will only fix this upstream
(and there, there is no unicode-data package).

I only learned of the existence of the unicode-data package in the
apt-listchanges output today. I’ve PTS-subscribed to it, to quickly
learn of updates; previously I had updated it whenever I learned of
a new Unicode release.

Thanks for the heads-up!

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Sometimes they [people] care too much: pretty printers [and syntax highligh-
ting, d.A.] mechanically produce pretty output that accentuates irrelevant