Re: sofftware outside Debian (Re: holes in secure apt)

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 18. Juni 2014, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> torbrowser-launcher seems to use the keys from the upstream
> developers... basically giving them (who are not DDs) the potential
> power to install _any_ code in the system of Debian users.

fun fact: there's at least one DD among them.

> It also doesn't seem to protect against downgrading attacks... (see my

one or two bug reports might be oh so more useful than posting on -devel.

> That's why I wrote in my previous mail, that usually one should depend
> on a fixed hash in such downloader packages... doing it with gpg is
> securely possible, but much more complicated.

and then for each update you need to update the launcher package - thats an
aweful lot of work for little / no gain (and how do you handle downgrade
attacks here?). and,, ISTR flashplugin-nonfree did that years ago.

cheers,
	Holger