Re: Password Protecting GPG Keys

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Clint Byrum wrote:
> While they can try, they ultimately cannot get away with such illegal
> searches. The border is where our sovreignty begins and ends, not 100
> miles in:
>
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6933260753627774699

This is a very different reading of yours ... and there are enough
cases - especially of digital equipment search - and this is what
we are discussing here, which were dismissed.

In the case you quote there was "no probable cause for the presence
of aliens". The judgement was mostly put upon this argument.

In case of digital equipment there is always a probability to have
something illegal in the eyes of the US, which means that the
the exception for Ammendment 4 will be granted, as seen
in cases like Abidor vs Napolitano.

So while I consider it great that the judges in the case you mentioned
have decided in this way, I don't think this is the *norm* and
we - those travelling to the US - have to be aware of that.

Speak, disk image on secure server, entering with clean hd, fetching
hd image outside the 100mi border, etc etc ...

Norbert

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13