Re: improving downloader packages (was: Re: holes in secure apt)

* Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net>, 2014-06-16, 19:50:
Thomas mentioned that things would have been more secure if the buildds and e.g. pbuilder pulls in debian-keyring automatically and verify maintainer signatures.

debian-keyring is not useful for automatic authentication of source packages. The source package could have been signed years ago by a person who is no longer a DD. Or signed with a key that has been just replaced with another one. Or signed with a key that's not yet shipped in the package.

Incidentally, this is how I discovered this bug. A friend of mine (hi, Marcin!) wondered how he can authenticate a source package that was signed by a key that is not included in debian-keyring. I ensured him that there's nothing to worry about, as apt takes care of this, but he remained skeptical[0]. So I started playing with mitmproxy...

[0] And his skepticism was reinforced by (independent) discovery of this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1098738

--
Jakub Wilk