Re: Why not 03 ?

* Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> [140601 14:29]:
> I would not go into detail about O2 or O3 in the policy.
> The meaning of these flags is very compiler specific. E.g. clang will
> enable vectorization already at O2 and adds almost no extra passes with O3.
>
> I think it would be better to simply state:
> If the upstream optimization options differ from the ones of the default
> debian toolchain it is recommended to override the debian defaults to
> match the ones upstream uses during packaging.
> Upstream usually has choosen particular options for a reason, they know
> their software best.

I think one of the examples here was scientific software. Assuming
"upstream knows what they do" is very unlikely to be true there.

I'd rather argue for a "unless you know what you do, use -O2", which
is almost the current state. (I'd rather argue that currentl too much
software uses something different to -O2 for no good and too often bad
reasons).

	Bernhard R. Link
--
F8AC 04D5 0B9B 064B 3383  C3DA AFFC 96D1 151D FFDC