Multi-codename Debian archives: how to uniquify packages?

[Apologies if this is the wrong list; feel free to slap me in the right direction]

I'm setting up a Debian package archive to contain packages that must be built separately for wheezy and jessie.

Is there a Debian convention for adding the codename to the package version to prevent conflicting package file names? I found documentation of such a convention for Ubuntu, where e.g. '~precise1' is appended to the version, but that looks peculiar to Ubuntu. What do we do in Debian?

Thanks-

	John