Re: systemd-fsck?

> On Mon, 12 May 2014 13:58:31 +0200, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> This sort of behaviour is precisely why so many people not only
>>> dislike systemd, but also it's maintainers.
>>
>>Thank you so much for volunteering to contribute to GNOME packaging and
>>to make it work on configurations nobody will actually ever use.
>>
>>We are eagerly waiting for your patches.
>
> This sort of behavior is precisely why many users are migrating away
> from Debian.
While the "nobody will actually ever use" can hardly be called
"deescalating", admittedly, in the matter Joss is absolutely right:
Better spend the limited time we as volunteers have to support one
thing best, instead of having multiple half-baked solutions, like
"GNOME support 4 init-systems, unfortunately session management
doesn't work properly on any of them".
If you want an additional configuration to be supported, where nobody
is working on yet, you should commit to maintaining it. If there is a
huge group of people who *want* that feature to happen, it will happen
and it will get all the manpower it needs.
And I am pretty sure Joss wouldn't block properly maintained patches
for alternative configurations (as long as they don't lead to problems
in the default configuration). In the same way, nobody will (and
should) block properly maintainer upstart/sysvinit/systemd units.
Cheers,
    Matthias