Re: cppcheck, does nobody really care about it?

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 07:47:06PM +0100, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:

> cppcheck [1] has been removed from testing [2] because of a sourceless javascript file [3].

Indeed, sourceless files in the source is bad.

> Because of this I packaged (with patch and thanks from Octavio) a new dfsg version and uploaded on mentors [4] some time ago.
> (I'm uploading it again right now since I forgot to put the bug reference into the changelog)
>
> Also packaging the new release [5], give a gui [6] and html reporter [7] would be nice and I think easy to achieve, but it requires a go through the new queue and it is almost out of the scope of an NMU.
>
> I personally consider cppcheck a great package, that helped so far me in spotting many possible vulnerabilities in packages I comaintain, helping me in providing more secure packages in debian repositories (as well as sending security fixes upstream).

Yes, cppcheck is a very nice static checker for C code, and I regularly use it
myself.

> So, please, can anybody sponsor this package and upload or just reject it from mentors?

It seems Vincent Cheng has uploaded a delayed NMU already, but that is just
ixing bug #735502, not a new version. Have you also tried to contact the
current maintainer, Reijo Tomperi, directly? It would be better to coordinate
with him if possible.

> I really would like to comaintain this package, but this is out of the scope of this mail.

If Reijo is still active, you should discuss that with him. If he is not, then
I'll be happy to sponsor your packaging efforts and be co-maintainer. Perhaps
Octavio wants to be co-maintainer as well.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>