Re: Non-source Javascript files in upstream source

On 05/07/2014 11:06 AM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> I submit that in the case of minified javascript libraries that are
> *already available* in Debian, and that are symlinked (in the way as
> described before) but ship in a source tarball as convenience copies
> *which are not used*, they can.
>
> It is easy to verify whether such minified javascript libraries are
> used: if the binary package does not ship with them, they are not
> used, even if they are in the source package.

One difficulty with this is that it is (potentially) confusing to the
end user.

Specifically, it violates my (pre-this-thread) expectation of what it is
that I get from 'apt-get source'. Prior to reading this thread, it would
never have occurred to me to think that something obtained that way
might not be actually part of the source (or source-documentation, et
cetera) of the binary package; I would have looked at the source, seen
the minified JS file, and expected that it would be used during the
build or in the final "binary". If I needed to modify it, or to trace
code flow through it for debugging purposes, I could have spent a fair
amount of time and effort unnecessarily. I don't think I'm likely to be
alone in this.

I think this is akin to the question of embedded copies of
separately-packaged libraries; I would have been similarly though not
identically misled by the presence of the source of such a library in
the 'apt-get source' result of a non-library package. I believe I've
seen discussions of whether to strip out such code copies here in the
past, though I don't recall what the outcomes may have been.

At minimum, I would think that all such "included but not used" code
should be explicitly documented somewhere (preferably somewhere
relatively visible) in the source package, listing all files - or, when
applicable, directories - which should be ignored because the package
build uses external ones.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.