Re: debconf reconfiguration from postinst of another package

Op woensdag 7 mei 2014 12:59:57 schreef Jonas Smedegaard:

> Hi Wouter,

> Quoting Wouter Verhelst (2014-05-07 11:34:23)

> > What you seem to want is a unified and standardized way for one

> > package to provide an API for changing things about how the package

> > will function, to other packages.

> Correct.

> > While a worthwhile effort, I don't think this is what debconf (in its

> > current state, at least) can do.

> I still believe debconf us possible to use for this - in its current

> form but with aid of additional logic (which possibly fits your view).

I'm afraid not.

You *could* have a script do db_set <something> to change the defaults and then run the postinst script (through dpkg-reconfigure), but that would run against the spirit of 10.7.4 IMO.

> > After all, the problem with reconfiguring another package in the way

> > you seem to suggest is that if it were to be effective for what you

> > want to see realized, it would run afoul of the requirement in Policy

> > 10.7.4 that

> > The maintainer scripts must not alter a `conffile' of _any_ package,

> > including the one the scripts belong to.

> > (at least in spirit)

> That text talks about _conffiles_ specifically,

Hence the "in spirit"

> and one way to avoid

> that specific rule is using... debconf!

Yes, but only for users configuring things, or by way of "shared debconf templates".

> > That same section 10.7.4 also explains how packages who wish to change

> > configuration files of other packages should work, currently: there

> > should be an interface provided by the package through which other

> > packages can then change the relevant configuration.

> Where debconf is one such interface provided by the package.

_Only_ if you use shared debconf templates.

Doing that is fairly complicated, and _requires_ support from every package involved. The only instance where this is being used that I know of, is the "choice of display manager" set of templates.

> I believe the spirit of §10.7.4 is to ensure that any configuration of a

> package not done explicitly by the user is done through the package

> itself.

> One reason for that is to ensure that there is one well-defined place to

> report any bugs: the package!

Yes, clearly.

--

It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

-- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26