Re: A question about patches for upstream

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 09:14:50AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> >I don't think this is very clear from the guidelines, and I have had mixed
> >I'll report it upstream for you" to "stop wasting my time, report it upstream
> >instead".
>
> While I find the latter reaction a nuisance, I understand that
> maintainers of huge packages with an understaffed maintainer team tend
> to do that. The situation is less than nice, but I'd rather see
> maintainers' time spent on packaging in those cases.

Yes, I can understand that maintainers set their priorities; I do that myself
as well.  The problem I have with the latter is not that I should report it
upstream (it's not ideal, but understandable), but the "stop wasting my time"
part, which implies that I'm wrong to send reports about upstream bugs to
Debian maintainers in general.

Thanks,
Bas