Re: A question about patches for upstream

On Fri, 2 May 2014 21:29:34 +0200, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 09:21:15PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
>> Does the Debian guidelines give any hints on who is responsible to
>> report a patch upstream? Is it the bug submitters or the Debian package
>> maintainers responsibility (in addition to eventually apply them to the
>> packages)?
>
>I don't think this is very clear from the guidelines, and I have had mixes
>I'll report it upstream for you" to "stop wasting my time, report it upstream
>instead".

While I find the latter reaction a nuisance, I understand that
maintainers of huge packages with an understaffed maintainer team tend
to do that. The situation is less than nice, but I'd rather see
maintainers' time spent on packaging in those cases.

>One of the main reasons I use a distribution (Debian) instead of installing
>things from upstream is that I have a single point of contact for bug reports,
>and don't need to register in several different bug tracking systems.
>Providing this service to our users is IMO one of the tasks of a maintainer.
>Needless to say, I'm not amused by the "report this upstream" response.  But
>the fact that I get it shows that this point of view is not shared by everyone.

Agreed.

Greetings
Marc