Re: Non-source Javascript files in upstream source

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 03:58:37PM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> If the png was made from the svg, include the svg.

Well, it is unclear who you are adressing here.  If upstream made a .png
from (prsumably) an .svg, but did not include the .svg in the tarball,
how can the Debian maintainer include if they don't have access to it?

I agree that when possible and feasable, the original source should be
used.

I just also tend to think then when upstream includes a PDF as very
useful documentation, and it can be decuced from the layout that this
was done by LaTeX or LibreOffice, but the respective source files are
missing, our users are best served by including this PDF in this case
(if there are no overriding licensing issues on top).

It is ok to ask upstream if the maintainer wants to take that extra
step, but I don't think it should be mandated.

My 0.02 cents, anyway.

Michael