Re: mirror.debian.net down?

[Copying the appropriate list]

Luca Filipozzi wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:00:55AM +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>> On 29/04/14 23:22, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
>> > It should be mostly corrected now although one name server is still not
>> > transferring properly.
>> >
>> > Technicians have been deployed.
>>
>> If there is any more you can tell me about this DNS zone, it would be
>> nice to document it better at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror
>> If it is deprecated (as is geomirror.debian.net) that could be mentioned
>> there.  I'm curious how the list of mirrors is maintained, too.
>
> So am I.  It used to be a dynamic zone but hasn't seen updates in almost 2
> years.  It should go away, IMO.

I personally thought it was gone already. Simon might confirm or prove me
wrong, but AFAIR it should no longer exist.

Oh and it used to be updated by the data from Mirrors.masterlist

>> I still find it very useful in combination with a caching web proxy
>> (better than http.debian.net because that can vary the resultant object
>> URI, and better than cdn.debian.net because that doesn't consider
>> mirrors carrying only a subset of architectures).

Doesn't your caching proxy actually cache the 301s? redirections to volatile
data get a 302 so that only the data from the mirror is cached, but non-
volatile data get 301s.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer