Re: ProposalL /usr/bin/open as an alternative for xdg-open and run-mailcap.

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen <at> err.no> writes:

> > “openvt” is used to start a program on a new virtual terminal, and
according to
> > its manual page, it has been renamed from “open” at the end of the XXth
> > century.  The changelog of the kbd package confirms the impression that
it
> > has been phased out efficiently (thanks !).
>
> It hasn't.  I for one regularly use it with the old name and I know I
> have scripts lying about using it with that name.

FWIW: “sudo mksh -lT8” opens a login shell on /dev/tty8 (-T also takes
a full /dev/ttySOMETHING argument), only hindered slightly by the Linux
kernel lacking the revoke(2) syscall.

(And mksh -T- -c 'something' dæmonises something, and if you præfix the
terminal with ‘!’ it doesn’t return immediately, thus eliminating fully
the need for cttyhack and setsid in Busybox, for people wanting to offer
usable interactive shells in /etc/rc or even /init or /linuxrc.)

bye,
//mirabilos (it also provides an amazing analog clock, ask XTaran…)