Re: ProposalL /usr/bin/open as an alternative for xdg-open and run-mailcap.

]] Charles Plessy

> Hello kbd maintainers, xdg-utils maintainers and everybody,
>
> The “kbd” package ships a symbolic link from /bin/open to /bin/openvt.
>
> “openvt” is used to start a program on a new virtual terminal, and according to
> its manual page, it has been renamed from “open” at the end of the XXth
> century.  The changelog of the kbd package confirms the impression that it
> has been phased out efficiently (thanks !).

It hasn't.  I for one regularly use it with the old name and I know I
have scripts lying about using it with that name.

> I propose to harvest the fruit of this effort and introduce a /usr/bin/open
> command to open files.

Please don't, or if you insist, get kbd to stop shipping it, wait for at
least two releases and then introduce it with a new name.

--
Tollef Fog Heen