Re: debconf reconfiguration from postinst of another package

Jonas Smedegaard <dr <at> jones.dk> writes:

> >>   How to reconfigure debconf from postinst of another package?

I also thought that was absolutely forbidden.

> >   Note that, if, as an admin, I explicitly choose an option in debconf
> > and then, latter, another package overwrite my choice (or even
> > reprompt me with another choice by default), it won't please me at
> > all.
[…]
> It is possible at initial install.

Yes, but then you have to make sure it won't trigger later.

> ...and possibly I will then also give up on the whole concept of Debian
> Pure Blends as well.

Hm. You shouldn't, but I also never quite understood how they could work
except patching d-i to run postinst tasks by itself (hardcoding on d-i).

I learned about configuration packages, but shipping stuff in /etc/ that
is also provided by other packages is bad, and one cannot divert a conffile
at all. But AIUI, for pure config/meta packages that do things once, this
should be possible (but not using the debconf interface).

So: yes, it would be desirable to have something allowing Pure Blends,
but debconf isn't it, and we're not sure there is something at this
time, and configuration packages (which themselves are only about so much
Policy-conforming) are not nice either.

bye,
//mirabilos