Arm64 port live on debian-ports

You may or may not have noticed that 'arm64' is coming. This a 64-bit
arm architecture also known as 'aarch64' and implemented in the ARM
CPU architecture 'v8'. Apart from iphones there is no publically
available 64-bit silicon yet, but that'll be changing rapidly later
this year and this port will start to become quite important.

The arm64 port is now building on real buildds in debian-ports (as
opposed to my previous bootstrapping efforts in Ubuntu and my initial
Debian bootstrap repo on people.debian.org). It recently passed 3000
(source) packages.

207 packages FTBFS so far, so if your packages are there please take
a look and fix them (or ask for advice if it's not clear what's needed).

http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?a=arm64&suite=sid

There are about 270 pending arm64 bugfixes, some of which will be for those build failures:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-arm@lists.debian.org;tag=arm64

If there is an Ubuntu patch for your package is also very likely to
contain an arm64 fix.

If upstream changes are needed please check the Linaro aarch64
bugtracker ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-aarch64 ), and if there
is no mention please bring it to the attention of Riku Voipio or me so
we can put it on a list.

The main doc for the port is https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port

I've started a section there on porting for maintainers:
https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port#Porting_packages_for_arm64_-_Maintainer_info
which should give some pointers.

There isn't (yet) a proper DSA porting box, but I can give you shell
access to a machine if you need it. Just ask.

Further builds are currently stalled on
qt4/kdelibs/gtk+3/swig/php/openjdk. Once that lot is done libselinux,
gettext and db5.3 can be built properly and much of the rest of the
archive will become buildd-buildable. I expect this to happen in May.

I'm mostly offline for the next couple of weeks (at conference + holiday
afterwards) so nothing much will happen for a while, but if some of
you have fixed stuff when I get back that would be lovely :-)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/