Re: Why Debian

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:15:54 +0530
Pirate Praveen <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz>:
> > On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:43:29AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> >> I love democracy, where everyone has a say and have a chance to
> >> make the changes they want rather than depending on someone.
> >
> > Just remember that Democracy is where 13 lions and 5 sheep vote for
> > what to have for dinner. :(
>
> Well, even if it were 2 lions and 16 sheep, they would still vote for
> sheep to be the dinner, its kind of sad though.
>
> But in debian there is another layer and it is better called a
> do-o-cracy, or only those who do the work gets to vote.

It's not about getting to vote - a meritocracy is when people are able
to make contributions and those contributions are assessed with due
regard to the quality of the work, current and previous, where "work"
includes the ability of the contributor to work with others in the same
area. So a meritocracy is better when contributions are accepted from
anyone (so free software becomes a priority) and when getting things
done in co-operation with others is an integral part of whether a
contribution is deemed useful.

The code is never enough by itself, there is always the element of
"yes, this code fixes the problem but if someone else needs to fix this
code in the future, it doesn't seem like it's going to be fun working
with the person who wrote this code." That way leads to forks.

Voting is a later stage because Debian does require some level of work
to be done before voting rights are assigned but if voting was all
there was to it, Debian would face a much larger need to quickly remove
voting rights from contributors who fail to get along with their peers.

It's what you do in Debian that counts. Voting has a place but the vast
majority of decisions which affect Debian are made by someone who is
doing the work. People only choose to do that work as a volunteer when
their contribution is welcome and that is part of what makes doing it
fun.

--

Neil Williams