Re: Deprecating/removing racoon/ipsec-tools from Debian GNU/Linux and racoon from Debian/kfreebsd

* Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [140405 00:06]:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:59:35PM +1300, Matt Grant wrote:
> > 4) racoon/setkey are native IPSEC implementations across FreeBSD,
> > NetBSD, Mac OSX, and Linux, and thus having it available give a 'just
> > works' IPSEC option.

I must also add that "it really just works". In particular,
roadwarrior server-side setups are really easy to setup nowadays and
work very well.

> > My main concern as maintainer are the security issues, with an old code
> > base running as root.
>
> The code base may be old, but it's pretty widely used and thus should
> have many eyes watching it. (I'm being optimistic, I know). The
> ipsec-tools mailing lists don't see a lot of activity, but they're by no
> means dead.  And there was just an upstream 0.8.2 release in February.

Can't really comment on security of an maybe old code base here, but
I had the feeling that at least Openswan was "more dead" than
racoon.

> > I am willing to co-maintain this package with other developers and
> > maintainers.  My belief is that there is likely a Debian kFreeBSD
> > developer/maintainer out there who would like to do this, and do a lot
> > of the work :-)
>
> I'm happy to help maintain ipsec-tools, as I make regular use of it and
> have done so for several years. I'd also be supportive of removing it
> for jessie+1 based on your arguments for doing so. If that's the path
> taken, it'd be really good if we could document (and at least partially
> automate?) the migration path from racoon to the preferred alternatives.

I have no clue of kFreeBSD, but I'm using racoon on Linux. I'd offer
help if the goal would be to keep racoon.

  -ch

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer