Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 12:32:45AM +0100, Roger Lynn wrote:
> On 04/04/14 00:50, Stephen Allen wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:18:41AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> >> I think Xfce is much better *default* desktop environment (DE) than Gnome.
> >>
> >> As KDE fan I do not like Gnome. Those who forget to choose DE in installer
> >> (just like I did more than once) and end up with Xfce will have a lot less to
> >> remove from their systems shall they choose to use a different DE.
> >>
> >> Faster installation is another good reason to stick with Xfce by default.
> >
> > Disagree - Gnome 3 I would think for MOST users would be preferable.
> > Like the OP says Xfce4 is not desirable for most users coming from the
> > dark side or heck perhaps for most users on Linux that want a modern
> > desktop.
>
> If you assume that most users have previously used MS Windows, then wouldn't
> KDE be more appropriate? It might also avoid some of the more controversial
> discussions we've seen here in recent years.

Sure KDE is worthy of consideration as well, my personal favourite is
Gnome-Shell. The point is, it should be a modern Desktop Environment.
Anybody I've showed Gnome-Shell to, likes it. Of course these are folks
that were never exposed to CDE or other dinosaur window shells. :-/

Most folks are going to be using modern laptops and won't be happy with
something out of the 90s as their DE. I'm speaking as a retired person
too. LOL